Saturday, November 18, 2006

Miracles and Fiction

This is in response to part of a discussion at Rebecca Miller's A Christian Worldview of Fiction. The topic is the role of miracles in fiction. Is it useful and hopeful or does it lead others to a false doctrine of the business of miracles?

Jan replied:

Well, this is certainly a thought-provoking topic....

I am sure there are miracles happening today... I've had them happen in my own life. Probably more than I will realize until I get to Heaven.

I also have had things happen that I know God could have kept from happening. The loss of my daughter's life being most prevalent in my mind - as most would understand. Another -- Why do I have two perfectly "normal" children and one that struggles with most everything he does? I pray for each of them, always have -- even before they were born. So, was it my lack of faith that caused him to be different? No... (refer to John 9:2)

So, yeah, miracles happen, but God's the God of all -- if a miracle fits with His plan, then a miracle it is. If we aren't mature enough spiritually to accept it or maybe if our priorities need straightened out or whatever , then no miracle. But see, to me, that in itself is a miracle -- that God ultimately knows what will benefit us and what won't.

As far as putting miracles or not putting them in fiction... that's a toughie for me. I'm not a published author (yet), and I differ with the opinion of some that miracles cheat our readers, but until I get my foot in the door, so to speak, I need to follow the rules. But if the miracle is "realistic" enough so the reader doesn't feel cheated, then I would think it is okay and acceptable... ??? The more realistic, successful novel would be the non-miracle struggle with real life problems, however. Or that's what I'm being taught in things I read. Then God uses that struggle to deepen their faith, lead them to saving grace, or help them lead a loved one to Him.

Faith has an important role in all of this, but I watched a faithful, godly woman die at a young age believing that she would rise up and be healed from her cancer.... well, her faith healed her, in my opinion.... she's walking streets of gold -- cancer free.

So, sometimes what we call faith may only be our desire... true faith would be trusting God -- no matter what -- He ALWAYS does the right and best thing.... which may have be the biggest miracle of all.....

3 Comments:

Blogger Rebecca LuElla Miller said...

true faith would be trusting God -- no matter what

Exactly, Chris. That's the key point I think that people miss in the fictional accounts of miracles, written as if they are normative rather than exceptional.

Becky

3:08 AM  
Blogger chrisd said...

Jan-I'm not sure if you can even read this but I wanted to tell you what an awesome job you did!

10:27 PM  
Blogger Joel said...

Miracles can work in fiction. Anyone who says otherwise is wrong. :)

I can think of two instances of miracles in Sci-Fi/Fantasy that I've read:

In Gene Wolfe's Long Sun tetralogy, a story written like the Gospels with some elements in common, he kicks the whole thing off with a miracle. During a ball game, the main character is directly inspired by God.

In C.S. Friedman's Coldfire trilogy, a major character sees the face of God.

Anyway, I just wanted to throw that out there. I guess the way the above books make miracles work is by using them to drive a major plot arc (if not the whole book/series). This is a little different than using a miracle as a solution to a problem, which readers may feel is cheating.

3:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home