Wednesday, September 27, 2006

Critique Groups: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly Part 2

Copyright 2006 All Rights Reserved

Wah WAH Wah

In my last blog entry, I talked about my good experiences with critique groups.

What do I consider a good critique group. One which

  • Encourages
  • Teaches
  • Helps
  • Generous
  • Strives to do better (whatever that is)

I found all these things on my first try. What would happen on my next venture away from this kind group of Christian writers?

Well.

I submitted a chapter to another group and will not say which one for reasons you will see. I asked for a critique and got one back that took my breath away. It was harsh and there was plenty of it. After going back to my original group for moral support, which I received, I looked carefully at the comments.

They were right on and very helpful. I will call this the bad, even though it didn't turn out that way. I wound up staying with this group and have gotten equally harsh comments. However, I know the person. I can take what they give out because in the end it works. And it helps. Even though I am quite sure this person hates what I write (high fantasy, elves, dwarves, etc).

Which brings us to ugly.

Ugly critiques are

  • Sarcastic
  • Self serving (look how much better I am than you)
  • Mean spirited (a put down rather than an actual critique)

I have only received a couple of these, thank God. But they hurt and they were given to me by other Christians. One sarcastic comment was "Oh, come on. What is this?" Unnecessary.

I wish that I could say that I was thick skinned and took it on the chin. I took it to heart and almost stopped writing altogether. I was humiliated. I quit a bunch of groups and bided my time, waiting for a good moment to quit all my groups altogether.

But God intervened. Wouldn't you know, about 2 weeks after this horrible critique I published a little article. One that a person had cut up in ribbons.

So what's the point?

My point is, Critique groups can be good, bad and ugly. Just remember:

  • Be polite, even if people are not polite to you. (The Golden Rule--hello)
  • Use the Sandwich method. Always. Period
  • Put on some thick skin. My tolerance for criticism may higher than yours. Maybe. It's possible.
  • Even if the critique is bad or harsh, take a deep breath. Or a day or two. Come back to it and learn.
  • When (not if) you get an ugly critique, take it for what it's worth. Take what you can use and ignore the rest. If you cannot ignore the rest, then you cannot use it. Pitch it and MOVE ON.
  • If you don't like sarcasm, don't use it yourself. (Again with the golden rule)

Then, my friend, get back up and get writing.

Here's a list of my good, bad and ugly critique groups for Speculative Fiction (you will note that these are Christian groups):

Christian Fiction WRE Crit Group

Christian Corner of Writers
Christian Science Fiction/Fantasy Writers Assoc.
Christian Women of Fantasy/Romance/Mystery
FrogsnEagles
Genre Christian Writers
Writers for the King


4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Heh, heh. I notice you don't mention which ones are good, bad or ugly... :-)

9:53 PM  
Blogger Frank Creed said...

Chris D Wah wah--
I've had these kind of critiques as well. I am forty, and my sojourn of hard knocks along with my Schaefferian faith of logic has blessed me with a Rhino's hide.
No, not wrinkly, thick!

Valuable crit advice I use--what really stinks is when a Christian critiquer is rude AND clueless!

Even though I was raised in a Christian home, I wasn't saved until my mid-twenties. The leaglaistic enthusiasm shown by these kinds of critiquers reminds me of me as a new believer. Being a good judge of character has never been a strong point for me, and so I've never considered the "showing off" angle. All I know is how I used to be--PAINFULLY frank, but with the best of intentions.
First Corinthians 13: 1.
I think these kids are clanging symbols with the best intentions, but I'd not considered ego.
Hmmm.
*thinker pose*

12:49 AM  
Blogger Pastor William Mazzulla III said...

If you notice in the first few chapters of the book of Revelation, when God was instructing the 7 churches; usually they were complimented (Bread) then they were told what was wrong and needed to change (Meat) and finally they were given a promise (Bread) if they did well and became (or continued to be) overcomers.

There you have it the sandwich method was used in the Holy Bible.

9:47 PM  
Blogger Beka said...

Hey, Chris, it's been awhile. I am catching up and I hate to admit I never got around to even reading the blogs we set up. I think this one is so well written and speaks to a real problem without hurting anyone. But, I have to ask, was I one of those ugly critters? I know I did my very first crit for you and I didn't even know how to do one. It was long and intricate. If it was hurtful, I sure apologize. If not, maybe I was on the right track at least!
Well, I do love you and miss you.

4:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home